Tuesday 22 October 2013

Prompt #20 Should SIS have uniforms or not?

 I do not think that SIS should have uniforms.  I am not a big fan of uniforms and I hope that uniforms do not happen in our school.  Uniforms are said to bring unity among the students and show school spirit.  I don’t think that this does not actually have anything to do with either school pride or unity.  I think it is kind of a nuisance and I know for sure that there are a lot of students in SIS that would rather to not have a uniform for school.

I don’t like uniforms mainly because I think they are ugly.  It looks ugly and is probably made of poor material.  I also don’t like to wear skirts.  I haven’t worn a skirt since like 5th grade and don’t plan on ever wearing one anytime soon.  Uniforms were made to show a student’s pride for their school.  Honestly, I think a uniform kinda lessens a students pride for their school.  Many students might not like wearing the uniform and might want to rebel like messing with the uniforms and changing it to their kind of style.  If a school wants to show pride, I think it would be better if the students all wear the school colors, like for my school it is blue and green.  Having students wear their schools’ colors, it would show more pride than compared to just having students wear the uniform.  Allowing a student wear their own clothes can make them more excited to show off their school spirit.   Not only are uniforms dreary and boring to look at, it feels like it constricts students.  But having the freedom to wear your own clothes shows pride and a boisterous feeling around the school.
 
I don’t think uniforms show unity among students.  Sure now everyone looks the same, but that just shows that everyone is physically united.  I like that fact that having no uniforms shows individuality and freedom.  Having the freedom to express our selves can help show diversity and culture.  If we had to wear uniforms, there would be no culture, diversity and no expression.  We would loose our diversity and individualism.  Having all students wear the exact same thing can easily make everyone forgetful it would pretty hard to find someone in a school were every looks pretty much the same.  It would be very hard to standout if everyone looks exactly the same.

Uniforms are also a financial burden.  We already have to pay a lot for school, and now we would we have to purchase uniforms.  Some parents might not have enough to purchase the uniform and also we would have to buy more than one uniform since we would have to wear it daily.  Wearing it daily also means the constant washing of the uniform.  That would also waste a lot of time, having to wash it over and over again.  That also deteriorates the fabric of the uniform over time.


If SIS enforces uniforms, there would be many disapproving students and parents.  Uniforms don’t show any pride or unity among the students.





No comments:

Post a Comment