Monday 18 November 2013

Prompt #26 Which book benefited you the most and how?

The book that benefited me the most would have to be The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  I have never read a book so fast in my life.  I am an extremely slow reader and this took me about 3 weeks to finish, which is pretty fast for me. 

At first I didn’t really think much about the book.  It didn’t spark my interest at all, even when I saw it everywhere.  There are many copies of The Kite Runner in my school; we actually have one whole shelf row dedicated to those books.  And every year I passed by it without a single glance.  I have actually contemplated on reading it before, but that was when I was younger and when the size of the letters and the amount of pages in a book mattered a lot to me.  The bigger the size of the letters and the thinner the book, the better.  I was also not interested in books that involved history, I was more into things with adventure like The Hunger Games (which is a REALLY good book series).

It wasn’t until last summer when I was in Peru, that I had a sudden curiosity about it.  When we were on a bus ride, my friend had brought it along with her to read.  She has read the book more than three times, it was one of her favorite books.  She let me read a few chapters in the bus and I suddenly became hooked on it.  I didn’t get the chance to read the whole thing while is was there but when I got home back to Saipan, I searched for a copy of my own.  I was lucky to pick up the last copy of it at a local bookstore~ their next order of it would of came much later~ and I read it and I cried at the end :')

I was really surprised that I really liked the book, usually those are not the kind of books I would prefer, but for some reason I really like it.  Everything about it had a really emotional affect on me, like Amir’s strained relationship with his father and his relationship with Hassan.  I liked the fact that he had took the chance to redeem himself and went back to face his past instead of run away from it like before.  It taught me to appreciate everything that I have and for what people have done for me.


My Favorite Quote: “For you, a thousand times over.” Hassan to Amir & Amir to Sohrab.



No comments:

Post a Comment